- The apex development finance institution, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has launched development projects worth Rs 44 lakhs in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, with the aim to strengthen the concept of Atmanirbhar Bharat through rural entrepreneurship.
The development projects of NABARD consist of following initiatives:
- Formation and development of Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and providing Skill development training to these SHGs members to promote rural entrepreneurship at the micro-level.
- Women attached to SHGs in Little Andaman will be trained for Mushroom Cultivation and Bamboo Handicrafts making.
- A four-month-long training program for tour and travel agents in Swaraj Dweep
- Yearly Micro-Entrepreneurship Development Programme will be carried out for 150 members of various SHGs in Mayabunder in Middle Andaman.
- The apex institution is also providing a platform for sales of local products by financing Rural Haats in Gram Panchayats.
- Total of Rs. 7.6 lakhs have been released to establish one such Haat in Namunaghar Panchayat of South Andaman.